Sunday, April 12, 2020

Life Stories - Random Prose

Going to start writing down my life stories. What with this pandemic, pretty sure my life will get cut much shorter than I had expected. Here's some words I found in my file cabinet.

DOWN AT THE DAMP BANKS

For almost ten years now,
the water endless like the rain and the sun,
the girl sat there,
talking to herself.

THE VAGINA CLUB

They met every Thursday in the afternoon
working on the Great Plan
like two Indians
split in the grass.

BIG UNDERLYING PROBLEM IS

A juicy, crisp apple drips from his mouth
gobbled up in chunks like a child with a grape,
lips foamed, licked by tongue, and nostrils
open, anticipating more.

JUNIOR THE JUMPER CABLE

File under "M" for Memories:
Chuck and Colleen got married on
4-17-93
and we played the numbers -
your birthday
my birthday
and the Wedding Day.

Swampscott, and the long lines of the ocean
and the city bestowed with storm rays, just
twinkling across the bay,
buildings punctured the clouds
like giant thorns.

"GREAT DATE! SHURKS ME OFF ON HIS BOYFRIEND"

"Whisper it," I say.

"Okay, listen. Tell yourself to watch for goodness
all along the way. Make yourself believe it's okay,
and watch the others follow through."

"Is it all that simple? What about the rules?"

"The rules are all in your own heart. Follow the rules
of your heart."

"Shout it, I say!" And I stepped back.

He stood on his chair and spoke.

"Follow the rules of your own heart! The rules
in your heart are the ones that work. They can bend
like the
saplings that burst through the spring rubble, reaching for
the sun with a deep will to succeed, to be a part of
this miraculous force, of life! The rules of life and
the
rules of the heart are one, for the bend together
as the lines of life twist and blend into a melody that
can't be repeated.
It can only continue."

The stars sat stunned for a moment of silence, then they
burst into a kaleidoscope of cheer and light.

"I think they heard you my friend," I said as I cloaked
him in warmth, and led him off to his destiny.

SHARE CROPPER'S ANONYMOUS (Or: Socked by the Saxophone Again)

There's this guy, plays sax-
Scott-
body curved like an S when he plays,
wavy hair and slanted eyes -

Slithers cross the floor, blowing
delicious secrets into the air-
slippery mouthpieces and
shiny show boots -

Seductive in his sly, in and out the back,
shakes a hand with strength -
sits back, smoking,
sights the scene and goes

Slowly, between the Sisters and the Sorry's -
Socked by the Saxophone again.

INEVITABLE (from 4/26/88)

People just walking around - babies hanging off a tree
Dogs eat strawberries, three by three
Somewhere in this sunny park
You are looking for me.

Not the eyes that watch from the bench
Cutting up letters never sent.
Not the bikes that sing notes 'till they're bent;
- though all those, you represent.

On cement stairs I snap to keep - I
Duplicate for a short relief
Like the discontent lady that found a different patch -
It's something we all seek.

But it can't breath, can't hold me tight -
It's nothing next to my deepest fright -
The competition that rakes into night:
That day you won't look anymore.

AND THEN THERE'S....

If I could just

get to the

next line of the

poem

Then I might

make it

If I could just

get

to

the

next

line.

OLIVER WOOD

If he could,
and he should.

Oliver love her
and I love her, too.

But I love Oliver
would he love me, too?

Oliver Wood he?
Could be Oliver would.

Should be I love
Oliver Wood.

Oh, love her, Oliver would
But only if she love Oliver

Would she love if she could,
Oliver Wood.

Would Oliver Wood?

DEAR ERIC

When I think about you
I'm in my old kitchen
sittin' by the fire
poking sticks in the coals
listening to the radio
all alone with my muse

And I remember the smell
of orange and spice tea
And I can feel the heat
of the fire on me
too young for whiskey
too old for hot milk
so young I can still sing to myself

Dear Eric
When I think about you
I start to wonder
about the stars and the moon
I hear you singing
in the afternoon
And by Friday
I call you on the phone
So we can hover together
Up on the stars and the moon

For just an afternoon
No ore time for no fool
Just a wondering
about the stars and the moon
Not too late, not too soon.

There are lines across my face, criss-crossed void of nothingness
as I walk this street I've walked so many times in body.

No comments:

August 2026

 This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...