Sunday, April 12, 2020

LIFE STORIES - Tour Notes 1993

Going to start writing down my life stories. What with this pandemic, pretty sure my life will get cut much shorter than I had expected. Here's some words I found in my file cabinet. These are some notes I wrote down when I did a mid west tour playing bass with Shirley Lewis.

June 29, 1993
Left Boston, drove to New York State 90 West. Stayed in a cheap hotel, the band shared two beds in the room and Shirley and David step in the van.

June 30, 1993
Got to Cleveland, Ohio about four or five p.m., set up and checked into the "temporary housing" rooms - band stayed in one apartment overlooking Cleveland. Cool view of Lake Eerie from the 17th floor. Played Fat Fish Blue, and old-time blues legend Robert Lockwood Jr opened up for us and later sat in to sing a tune with Shirley. Nice people worked there - okay crowd.

July 1, 1993
Drove to Davenport, Iowa. Night off. Stayed at Ramada Inn and watched the city get flooded out by the Mississippi River.

July 2, 1993
Another day off. Swam in the morning at the hotel, then drove the 6 or 7 hour drive across Iowa to Sioux City. Stayed at Best Western Regency down town. Black out at hotel right when we checked in. Me and Ali had it out, by Sat morning getting along swell again.

July 3, 1993
Went to the Souix City Blues Festival. A perfect day, blue skies an sunny, but windy. We played a 1:30 to 2:45 set. We all looked sharp and played great. Crowd loved it. The tent blew off during the 3rd or 4th song, but we just kept on playing like nothing was even happening. After we played we enjoyed the festival and the other artists. Buddy Guy pulled off a neat set ("One leg in the East, one leg in the West, I'm down in the center, trying to do my Best!") Then Dr. John went up last with his big band - same show as when I saw him last spring with Eric, Gordon and Erin Randall. When it started to rain at the end, Dr. John didn't blink and eye and just kept right on playing while sound and stage guys ran all around covering everything up. The band (us) danced in the rain right up front, laughing hysterically!

July 4, 1993
Got up early and had a few words with Mr. Buddy Guy in the hotel hall (right across the hall from our room!) All I could think was, wow, I just saw him on Jay Leno a couple of months ago! He was cool and polite and handsome, too, like Luther Guitar Jr. Johnson. Drove back to Davenport and check back into the Ramada Inn. Went to the festival grounds (Mississippi Blues Festival) and it was pouring rain. We played at 6:15. Band looked great again (black, red and white) and BANG! From the first tune the crowd went wild! Cameras flashing - wow - Shirley and band knocked 'em out flat. People asking for our autographs, etc. Met super nice folks - The Louisiana Cajan Band and the little nine year old kid Jerard with the green eyes and 22 year old mind.

Signed the same poster as Albert Collins and met Archie Edwards bluesman from D.C. ("always play alone - always know when you done good - always know when you done bad - keep all the money!")

Band, etc had a blast after that gig - all the attention we got! Specially Alizon and Marc were thrilled!

Monday July 5
Got up early and drove to Minneapolis, Minnesota and played the Fine Line. Not a big crowd - through a nice guy named Big George and his band opened for us. I was in a fucked up, sick of everybody mood and played like SHIT sloppy which fucked up Kem (the drummer), of course. But, the people who were there where really nice and complimentary. After the gig we started driving to Indianapolis, Indiana. Now, it's Tuesday, July 6, 8:30 a.m. an David has been driving since 2 a.m. last night after the gig. I got about 4 hours of "sleep" in the back of the van on top of Alizon's keyboards!

Had breakfast in Wisconsin (nice waitress) and expect to be in Indianapolis around 2 this afternoon. Traffic in Chicago hopefully won't hold us up too long.

Tuesday July 6
Nice gig at The Slippery Noodle. Tight, calm and a nice crowd by the end. Club was great old building - a real blues club - felt great. Stayed overnight and left Wednesday afternoon for Chicago. By the time we got to hotel 20 miles out of the city I knew I did not want to go out. Upset Shirley some but what the fuck - had to watch out for me - stayed in room and watched soft porn and Leno (took a quick dip in the pool) and fell asleep by midnight. When Marc and Ali got in around 3:30 they told me Shirl flipped out! Went nuts! Screaming cursing nobody cared selfish brats that we are - went over the edge apparently . That locks in my decision for me. I'm pretty sure. How embarrassing of her to act so childish. All is up in the air - Kem is staying with his wife at his inlaws so he and I missed the episode (what's going between me and him is strange still - so confusing.) He says he'll be with them (her) but thinking of us (me.) What am I going to do? I don't know.

Marc and Ali and I might rent a car and go into the city alone to explore - not looking forward to the downfall of Shirl and the band. I don't what's going on - two more gigs and we're home. I'm calling Marty now - please be there!

No comments:

August 2026

 This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...