Survived another day of snow up on the Hill.
Woke
up about 5:30 a.m. "Power's out" said Don. It took a few seconds for the
meaning of those words to sink in - but it wasn't long until my mind grasped the situation, so I dragged
myself out of the warm bed and poked around in the dark for some clothes
to put on so that I wouldn't freeze to death walking down the stairs
(in the dark) to reach for the camping lanterns for some light.
Then, to get the old phone and plug it into the land line in order to
call the power company. It took me a while to see the phone number -
though I really don't know why I don't know it by heart by now.
1-800-696-1000. Punched in my answers to the pre-recorded directives,
and learned that their were a billion power outages, roughly 750 in our
area alone, and that the estimated time for restoration would be 4:00
p.m.
GREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE.
After
shutting down my laptop (as so many of my old things, the battery doesn't
last very long) I carried the two camping lanterns back upstairs
to the bedroom with me, as Don was just finishing up shutting down his desk
top. We crawled back into bed and slept a couple more hours, then we got
up and got dressed again. I heated up some bottled water in the tea
kettle and set up the mini french press for coffee. Thankfully, we have propane and gas range, so all I have to do is light a match to the burner. We had our coffee
and bundled up to get to the car and the driveway. I had promised my
friend, who is recovering from major surgery and lives about a mile away, that I'd come down today to feed her
four horses lunch and muck out their stalls, so I wanted to be sure I
could get out. It took a while to get the snow off the car. We had
accumulated almost 6 inches, and the snow was heavy and wet. Don started
shoveling. The snow thrower we inherited from the house next door shit
the bricks after last week's snow storm.. Hit a rock.. broke a chain. A
real pain to fix (he's done it before) - especially in the cold. So, at the moment (and maybe forever), it's useless.
Luckily, our
neighbor came by with his tractor and pushed away the snow at the top
of the driveway, and even backed down and pushed a big bunch it up across
the road from the driveway. That was a huge relief.
We came back in, and I
was messaging a bit with my pal Wally, who is a retired line man for
CMP. He lives in the city, so he still had power. Don got the wood stove going again, and I brought in some buckets
of snow, in case we'd need the water to flush later.
I had reached my friend by text about the horses, and
she said it was cool not to come down, as her husband and kids were
home. It was snowing in the morning, then turned to freezing rain for
awhile, then turned back to snow - so I really wasn't in the mood to
risk taking the car down the ridiculously steep hill.
Miraculously, the power clicked back on around 10 a.m. Hooray!
Another relief. Don was able to go to work, and I cleaned up the french
press and other morning dishes and reset the electric clocks. I decided
to take a puff off of a roach, then got busy and went through the dry goods
cabinet. I got it nice and organized. I wiped down the top of the
fridge, cleaned the litter boxes, emptied the recycling and swept the
floors. I folded up a bunch of sheets and pillow cases that had been sitting in the dryer, and made the bed and tidied up the bedroom clothes.
I went back outside and did a little more shoveling. A lot of pine trees dropped big branches because of the weight of the heavy snow. Those will be there until spring, except for the few in the driveway. Before I knew it, it was 4 p.m. and getting dark again.
So,
here we are again. Making up a batch of split pea soup and watching the
local news, as the dish is down. There's more isolated snow showers
over night and into tomorrow. I've got to drive over to Fryeburg
tomorrow for a teeth cleaning appointment.
The fun never ends, I tell ya.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
August 2026
This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...
-
Here I am again. May 2, 2024. It was 13 years ago this morning that Dad called me in a tizzy, stressed to the max, because Mom had kept hi...
-
Hey, look - I'm back again. One more post before the end of 2023 - what do ya say, eh? Well, Verdant Dude still hasn't followed me ...
No comments:
Post a Comment