Tuesday, August 24, 2010
Falling Into Sleep
So the last few weeks I've noticed some strange night dream action, and I want to get this down because you know how quickly you forget your night dream stuff. This isn't really about specific dreams, this is about well.. it's new and strange for me.
What happens is, I've turned off the light and retired, flopping about as usual, trying to settle my mind but not having much luck. Images, ideas, scenarios, to-do lists pop in and out of my mind.. however, eventually, a line is crossed, and though I think I am "awake, " it turns out I really am dreaming. I guess it's the light, early dreams..
So, what seems to be a pattern the last few weeks, at least something I've noticed, is whatever I am dreaming about becomes very intense in a physical way.. I start feeling this buzz or hum in my whole body (I think?), I can hear it in my ears sometimes, and it builds up so much that whatever is happening in my dream, I start experiencing the sensation of falling backwards.... like falling into a deep abyss (deep sleep?). It's really intense..
When it comes to that point that I know I am "falling" (but not really), this is when I become aware that I am dreaming! Like lucid dreaming maybe? One night, when I realized I was dreaming, I tested it out by trying to yell out to my partner... I thought I was yelling.. but I wasn't. The next night, I tried harder (see, because I was asleep yet aware that I was dreaming), and I was able to muster up enough vocal sounds that when I awoke a few second later, I asked him if he heard me and he said yes.. Though my "yells" were just mumbled.
Last night it happened again.. innocent, early dream turns into intense humming and buzzing, which turns into the sensation of falling, which makes me become aware that I am dreaming, which turns into me thinking I am in control of my body but I'm not (last night I thought I was lifting my arms to protect myself from falling), and finally waking myself up and going, "huh, that was strange."
Once I fall asleep again, I am not aware of this happening anymore. I am not a very superstitious woman, but I wonder if my brain or body are trying to warn me of something. Kind of spooky, when I think about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
August 2026
This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...
-
Here I am again. May 2, 2024. It was 13 years ago this morning that Dad called me in a tizzy, stressed to the max, because Mom had kept hi...
-
Hey, look - I'm back again. One more post before the end of 2023 - what do ya say, eh? Well, Verdant Dude still hasn't followed me ...

No comments:
Post a Comment