Thursday, August 06, 2009

So Far, So Busy!

July 31 was my last day at work, and I've been going non-stop ever since.

(My "last day at work" cake.)

Got home that night to a family birthday party. Up early the next morning for the two + hour drive up the coast to the blues festival.

(The back of the performance barn that Don played in in the afternoon.)

Later that night, Don and I played a set with IC Waters Band.

(Photo by one the fans.)

Got home before 2 am, slept in a bit, then started house work and grocery shopping. Weeded the entire veggie garden, had a nice grilled meal, got to bed at a decent hour, then monday morning went down to the farm store and bought two cans of stain. Picked up groceries on the way and got home to find not one, but two, tiny hummingbirds trapped in our porch. Don put on some garden gloves and managed to gently clasp each one in his hands and set them free. Sometimes they just don't want to fly low enough to get themselves out of the door!

(Bonezee & Bunky getting a little supervised outdoor time.)

Then, we started staining the front of the house. Got most of it done and it felt gratifying. By tuesday late morning, in the blazing August sun, we finished off the rest of the front. Phew! Later that day I stained the front railings with timber oil, a stinky job. Yesterday morning I finished it, and then met up with mom and sis for a quick swim in auntie's pool. Today I squeeked a little bit more of the house stain out of the can to get a little more staining done around the side window, but now I am totally out of stain until tomorrow afternoon, when hopefully, the store gets more base paint in.

Meanwhile, Don is out mowing again, and I'm getting ready to take a load down to the transfer station.

This summer vacation thing is pretty cool.

(Spooky gets a little supervised outdoor tree scratching time.)

4 comments:

debi_in_Hawaii said...

Wow...that's so sweet of them! I'm sure they're going to miss you at work! :)

Debbie said...

Looks like you managed to achieve lots in a few days. Great Cake ..x

Barbara said...

Hi Kate,

That's the way to do it... enjoying summer ! You sound much more upbeat than the last time but sun & R&R will do that !

Pretty cake, and well deserved for the hard work :)

seev said...

Sorry I haven't been here for such a long time even though we're next door! Nice pics, Kate.

August 2026

 This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...