The storm hit full swing just about the time the 81st Oscar Awards show, which we were all settled in to watch with a spicy hot bowl of home made chili, was beginning. I had moved my laptop over to the eating area to join in the fun over at the Verdant Dude's live blog chat he had so graciously set up for us blogging geeks. There we all were, in our own separate universes, watching the Oscar's at the same time at chatting away. What a hoot.
Meanwhile, our power kept coming and going. The lights would flicker, they would come back at full force, then pow, darkness for a second or two, then they'd come back. It was all a little nuts.
After supper I moved my laptop back to it's usual place on a desk, when suddenly out of nowhere, it started making a strange noise. Like death. It was not pretty. Don snapped into action as we tried shutting it down and re-starting. It wouldn't restart, just hovering in that dream state between off and on, all along making that horrible scraping sound.
He went up to his office and got a repair disc. After many agonizing moments, he had it running again, sans the scraping of hard drive death. But to be safe, he began the process of transferring the hard drive to an external hard drive, anticipating the eventual death of the laptop's hard drive.
Of course, the power outages disrupted the whole thing, which will take about three hours. So, we had to bag it until today. I'm sneaking in a few things before we get down to business. I fear I will have to take this laptop down to the big city where there is a Mac store and have it replaced. Boo HOO!
Now, off to shovel an ungodly amount of snow. Wish me luck.
10 comments:
We were lucky.
That massive storm just brushed us here on LI and we only received a bit of wind and rain from it.
That is lucky. I'd be happy to ship you a few tons of the stuff your way if you're feeling left out. :)
Kate you guys definately got the brunt over in the west. I just got 12+ inches. Unfortunatley for me the snowblower threw a belt and I was left to move it all by hand using the shovel scoop thing. It took me about 3 hours to to the driveway. damn cars.
Hi Kate!
First...sorry to hear about your Mac! God...whenever anything happens to my computer I feel totally wrecked!?! It feels like I just lost a kidney or something!
And secondly....I LOVE the photo you posted!!! OMG...how beautiful! And I'm insanely jealous of course, because we've gotten barely any snow this year - so I think I'll just sit here for awhile and stare at this photo, I hope you don't mind!?
You're Oscar night sounded so cozy and wonderful.
Good luck with your computer!
X
Oy, Joe, I feel your pain. HONESTLY I do. In my back, my shoulders, the backs of my legs, my arms.. Who needs a gym when you live in Maine in the winter? And yes, all for the cars. Oh, and to get to work. Thanks for stopping by.
Ron! Thanks for your sympathy on the computer. So scary! You're right, it is almost like losing a vital organ.. (Kind of sad we are all so dependent on our computers!)
It's been behaving well today, but tomorrow while I'm at work, my sweetie, the computer guru, will copy the hard drive, just to be on the safe side. You never know if it might just poop out on me at any time! EEK!
Well, yes, the snow really is beautiful, despite my moaning about moving it around! I'm glad you like the photo.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a note!
Hi Kate,
You could say that with the cold, everyone has using the kws to the max.
I think that Don did the right thing to anticipate the "crash". I hate when that happens; we had a crash once and it's not pleasant.
Enjoy the white scenery. I was already at your Dad's blog & saw the cleaned out driveway.
Stay warm !
Kate pop over to my blog later there is a post just for you..
Love the picture.
Suffering up and down power plus snow is bad enough but dying laptop... grimulation!
Gee, Kate, I didn't know you had that trouble with your laptop, and right in the midst of the worst storm of the year! I took a bunch of pictures too, but never got around to posting my own post about the "night to remember". We both have to thank your neighbor for his fast work with his tractor and scooper in cleaning out the fronts of our driveways. What a storm! But the snow is still beautiful white...
Hi recent commentators! Thanks for stopping by.
Yep, the snow sure is pretty, and you should see the giant icicle "fangs" hanging from either side of our front door today.. they must be four feet long!
Well, the laptop seems to running okay the last few days.. I really don't know what the heck happened that night, it was so very strange.
Keeping my fingers crossed .. we must avoid "grimulation" at ALL COSTS! (That's a fun word Aileni, sounds almost like one of those capiticha things... )
Post a Comment