Thursday, October 09, 2008

Americans Are Wierdos

Why are so many people in this country attracted to arrogance? Personally, I am repulsed by self-righteousness in a man (which is mostly where I see it). Bravado. Strutting around like a rooster.

This behavior, stance, does nothing for me. Self confidence is alright. But, give me gentle humility and an empathetic girly man any day. The way I see it, a leader must have a balance. This is why President Clinton was so well loved, I think.

John McCain is an arrogant, hot-headed man who, especially now that the election is getting down to the wire, looks like a cornered Pit Bull baring his teeth and attacking every shadow that moves.

He is rude. He speaks in a language of jumbled political rhetoric, assuming Americans will be soothed by his confident and "experienced" tone. Sadly, I have met many people in my little neck of the woods that are buying it. They assume that because a man spent years being tortured as a prisoner of war give him the smarts to deal with the massive problems in this country. They believe, like him, that continuing this war until "we win it" is the only solution.

This makes me sad. What's worse is, I have heard a few racist slurs and jokes by some of the uneducated and ignorant people up here, and it's frustrating to me. I can't understand how they can overlook Obama's brightness, his clear brilliance, his calm, measured balance, and all they see is his skin color.

Why are white Americans still so afraid?

Ok. There's my political rant for the day. Thank you.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am horrbly afraid this creature could win - then where would you be - and the rest of us. Doesn't bear thinking about.

GeologyJoe said...

good rant. i agree.

Kate said...

I can only assume, aileni, that we will be back in GWB land, only more knee-jerk reactionary, and closer to fucking up any good alliances we have? I don't know, but I have to think it about it, right now. Though I love and appreciate my country, there are many times I wish I was living on a little Irish island, away from the madness...

Thanks geologyjoe. I know you're a tough guy, but with a soft side, too. Especially now that you're gooing all over your newbie spawn! :) (Or, probably the other way around.. ha!)

Barbara said...

Hi Kate,
It's good to let it out...
I just sent my absentee ballot today,Kate.
My feeling was not all smiley & ultra-patriotic...I was more uneasy more than anything else.
But I voted.

Let's all stay tuned.

debi_in_Hawaii said...

I saw a Mccain sticker on a parked car this morning and cringed.
I'm happy to report that 99.99999999% of what I see are Obama stickers...

remember: PAPER BALLOTS, everyone!!

Kate said...

Good for you for voting, Barbara! I know, it's a strange and uneasy time over here in the good ol' U S of A. Be glad you are settled in France! And, thanks for stopping by today.

That's encouraging, Debi! Ha ha, no hanging chads THIS year! Thanks for visiting girlfriend!

Dragonstar said...

My fingers are crossed!

Jennifer said...

You have expressed exactly what I was thinking last night. Thanks for expressing it so well. :)
Scary that this is the situation that we're in. I really don't understand what has happened in America. It makes me so frustrated and sad.
Love your horse photos.

Kate said...

Thank you, loulou, for your nice comment. It's very hard to express myself in this situation, so I appreciate the encouragement!

Though you and I feel frustrated and sad about some of the people in our country, I guess one of the most valuable things we can do is to continue to live our lives with as much responsibility, humanity and grace as we can. Leading by example may carry more influence than we might think.

Horses are so beautiful. Sigh. Talk about living with grace....

seev said...

Good post, Kate, and good comments from everybody. (Kate's my daughter, you know, and I'm very proud of her!) Yes, McCain is arrogant and mostly screwed up and confused in his old age (ha ha, he's younger than me!) because he compromised his political positions way too much in recent years. I'm just hoping the polls are reflecting the reality of the situation. There's a lot of Obama fear out there, as you know, Kate, from observing Mainers. Racism unfortunately is alive and well in Maine, but I still think Obama will carry the state.

Kate said...

It does look like he will, doesn't it Dad? As Meri said, we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Old McC may be younger than you in age, but come on, he doesn't even know how to check his own email!
He probably doesn't even know how to use a cellphone. *snort*

seev said...

Yeah, that's right, that old guy I bet doesn't even know how to use a cellphone! (note: I just bought two cellphones last week...)

August 2026

 This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...