Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Hold On

Mardy agreed to the transfer to the assisted living apartment. He still has some misgivings, which is understandable, but we all think it's for the best to do it now before he becomes even more frail.

The Covid factor, of course, makes the process and outcome all that much more challenging. I am doing my best to remain calm. One might even say, adult. Ha.

After the weekend Zoom meeting with the family, minus Himself, we agreed that it would be me to make the proposal. Monday, he had had several visitors so Phyllis advised against me saying anything that night. 

So, yesterday morning, after a sleepless night of sleeping on it, I ended up writing him an email about the idea, listing the pros and cons. Later in the afternoon, he responded and agreed that it did seem like a good idea.

After that, I emailed the director of admissions at the assisted living facility, letting her know things are looking like a go. I called Dad around 4:30, and he was defiantly a bit aggravated and annoyed, but mostly because he was suffering from pain in his bottom. Phyllis was still out doing grocery shopping (she's been going every Tuesday and doing his light food shopping, as well), so I think he was distressed that she wasn't there, too. He expressed concern about losing the assistance of the home health aid, Tracy, who he absolutely loves. She apparently is the best bather he has ever had in his life, and he doesn't want to give her up. But, in the whole, he seems to have warmed up to the idea. I told him I would ask the hospice team to be sure that they would all still be working with him after the move.

Then, I emailed the social worker to fill her in, and this morning she replied with the good news that, yes, the hospice team would stay the same and still be working with him. She's going to call me in a little while to run over a few more things.. one being that his insurance will not be renewed in 2021. Typical bullshit. Well, I guess they are changing it or something, in light of him being closer to dying. Assholes. 

Anyway, so much to worry about and arrange and plan and execute now. I am not allowed in to see the apartment, so that will be a challenge to know how much of his furniture and stuff we can get over there for him. Plus, I won't be there to help arrange.. arg. So frustrating. I plan to drive up on Friday, and at the very least, I'll be able to look into the windows from outside and get a sense of the space. Before I leave from visiting with him, I'll grab a few things that I know he won't be bringing to the new place with him. I'll bring the roller with me, I guess. 

This sucks. Just saying. But, once he's all moved, and we can empty out his apartment, and get the rest of the stuff that won't be going with him somewhere (some in our barn, I guess), it will be a relief to know that he will be more closely monitored. Poor guy. 

The vaccines can't get here soon enough! And, come on January 20, 2021! 

Hold on, people. Hold on. 


No comments:

August 2026

 This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...