Friday, August 30, 2013

First Week With Possum The Pinto

Possum arrived a week ago last Wednesday night, and things are settling in. I have taken this horse care thing seriously and am enjoying nearly every second of it. On the second evening, I felt a little teeny bit of remorse, as I was so tired and worried that I wouldn't be able to handle the extra work, but like any new thing, it just took some time and determination, and I think it's turned the corner.

This is why. Every time I look outside and see a beautiful little black and white pinto pony / horse, I get a wee bit choked up with happiness. Guilt? Yes, just a little of that, too, because I have to devout so much time and yes, it's a bit selfish of me to go back to my childhood love and spend so many hours toying around in the barn and pampering Possum. However, I have the support from Don and a few of my closest people, and I think it makes them happy to see me so involved.

I have ridden him every day except one since he's been here (he's super fit and needs to be worked,) and I am feeling my "riding legs" coming back, ever so slowly. The first day I rode him, I did take a tumble off of him.. totally my fault. I learned from that mistake, and have been slowly remembering some of the things about riding that I had forgotten. After all, it's been 28 years since I really rode seriously!

Just yesterday, he felt a little fresh coming down off a small embankment, and he gave a tiny buck and head wiggle, but I leaned back and stayed on, and when he fell into a little canter, I let him go on.. then made him keep cantering for a few strides when he wanted to slow down again! He's pretty darn cute, and I'm starting to get his personality.

So, it's been one week and I'm still alive and so is the horse! I just hope I can keep him sound and healthy and happy until he goes back to camp next spring. This has been really cool, I got to say.


No comments:

August 2026

 This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...