Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Missing Mom On Valentine's Day

My mother loved celebrating holidays. I am reminded of her today, because it is Saint Valentine's Day. Except for last year, when she was too distracted with the symptoms from Alzheimer's Disease, all of her children (and their partners) received a Valentine's Day card every February 14th. Each card had the tender showing of love only a mother can give, reminding us how special we were to her (and "Daddy," too.) Often, the card came with a little gift... something red or pink, or with hearts on it. Or chocolates. When we got older and lived apart from our parents, she would mail a check with a nice little sum of money ("Treat yourself to something special!")

I know I am lucky to have had that outpouring of love. Today, I won't receive a card in the mail from my mother, but she gave me enough in her life time to cover the rest of my life without her. Her words of love are never forgotten.
On the inside it says, You're my pick.

4 comments:

Slyde said...

That really IS a beautiful sentiment.... God bless you, hon...

Kate said...

Thanks Slyde.

seev said...

This is beautiful, Kate.

Kate said...

Thanks Dad.

August 2026

 This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...