Thursday, February 16, 2012

Johnny Hops Over Rice Recipe

How gratifying is it when you discover a simple, new recipe for dinner? Is this what getting older is all about? I think so.

Before going out to market yesterday, I made a quick inventory of the fridge and food cabinet. I noted the bag of big chunky ham that was given to us at the end of a dinner party last Saturday night. I also picked up a can of Bush's Blackeye Peas I've had sitting on the shelf for a few months..  one of those impulse with - no - plan purchases. On the back of the can is a recipe they provide called "Hoppin' John Over Rice" (though I'd like to call it "Johnny Hops Over Rice.") I had the rice, I had the onions, and I had the ham. Easy dinner, but would we like it?

I took a chance. Picked up green and red bell peppers, sour cream and salsa at the market. At dinner time, I chopped up a cup of onions, a cup of peppers, and the ham (which came to about 1 cup, as well.)

Got the rice going (I used white jasmine, my favorite.) For a fun compliment, I mixed up some corn bread (and not the cheap Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, oh no, I splurged on the wonderful Krusteaz Natural Honey Cornbread & Muffin Mix.)

With 20 minutes to spare until 8 o'clock (and the premier of this season's "Survivor"), I got the onion and pepper going in the skillet, then added in the ham chunks. Then I added the blackeye peas, the juice from the can, and a teaspoon of hot sauce and a few dashes of cayenne pepper.

With the jasmine rice done, I dumped that into a serving dish and slopped the bean mixture over that. Served with a dollop of sour cream and salsa, some chopped up green onions for garnish, the cornbread and a green salad, and the result was super delicious. Easy peazee, so to speak!

2 comments:

Verdant Earl said...

I love Hoppin' John!

Ordered it as a side dish a few weeks ago when we went out to a Southern Soul Food restaurant. Everyone else in my party chose mac & cheese or mashed potatoes or cole slaw. Not me. I went with Hoppin' John and Collared Greens.

I figure, if you are gonna go South...GO SOUTH!

Kate said...

Hmmm. Collard greens.. I love southern soul food, too.
There is always so much of it. I had a bowl of the left over Hoppin' John for lunch yesterday.. still rocked my taste buds.

August 2026

 This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...