Friday, September 23, 2011

New Kitten

Tuesday, I went to the feed store to pick up a fresh supply of cat food for Spooky. I said hi to all of the nice gals that work there, and paid for my purchase. Then one of them said, "hey, want a kitten?"

Well, that's what happens. We had already discussed looking for a kitten starting in October. It's been seven months since we lost big old Bunky, and Spooky has just finally gotten used to flying solo again...

One of the gals at the feed store had seen the little thing running across the road on her way to work that morning. This is back woods and rural up here, and she knew by instinct that the little guy was homeless. She got out of her car and chased him around and finally caught him. Nobody else was around, and he looked like he had been out on his own for awhile.. well, no longer than four or five weeks, because that's about how old he is. She put him in her car and brought him to work.

I told her I was interested, and followed her out to the break room to see the tiniest, most pathetic looking kitten I've ever seen, hovering in a cage. They had given him some milk and wet food, and he was hissing and scared. I told the girls I'd call them later with an answer either way.

When I got home I said to Don, your kitten has arrived. Don had even expressed in the past wanting a yellow tabby, and that's what he is. I went and brought him home. Spooky, of course, reacted with some bitchy "HISS and HAAWS," but we are starting day four now, and she's coming around. We've had to teach him how to use the litter box, and he's eating like mad. We've named him Little Lucky Peterson, but it's not really sticking so far. I've just been calling "Little Guy." Let's hope he makes it.. so far so good.
User Friendly Kitten

6 comments:

Verdant Earl said...

Three things:
1) Adorable!
2) Our youngest cat is named Bennington, but from the time he came home almost a year ago we've called him...Little Guy. Sometimes I shorten it to LG. :)
3) One of the best animals I ever knew was a formal feral who lived the first month or two of her life under a summer house out on the East End of LI. She was the best!

Good luck with Little Guy!

Kate said...

Ha! I predict I'll be calling him L.G., too! But, ya never know..

Thanks! High five to cat people!

Verdant Earl said...

It's also ironic, because Little Guy ain't so little. He's from a large breed...a Ragamuffin. He's about a year old and he's probably pushing 20 pounds already. Big cat. Little guy. :)

Kate said...

20 Lbs! WOwza. I remember when you got Bennington the Ragamuffin.. such a cool breed of feline.

I have a feeling this little guy might turn out to be large, too. He's got a big head and big front paws...

I'm holding my breath that he'll grow up. At the moment, he's obsessed with my laptop. Fun times with kitten.

Misfit in Paradise said...

Kittens are just so darned adorable!

Kate said...

Ain't that the truth!

August 2026

 This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...