Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Out Of Body, Out Of Mind

"A mysterious and highly controversial phenomenon sometimes occurs in which people experience the compelling sensation that they have somehow "left their bodies." The "out-of-body experience" or "OBE", as this fascinating phenomenon is usually termed, takes a variety of forms. In the most typical, you are lying in bed, apparently awake, when suddenly you experience a range of primarily somatic sensations, often including vibrations, heaviness, and paralysis. Then you experience the vivid sensation of separating from your "physical body" in what feels like a second body, often floating above the bed."

This happened to me this morning, about 2:30. It only lasted about ten seconds or so, and I had control over it. But it was so strange and eerie feeling that I made myself wake up. A very short dream precluded the "OBE", a dream that I, too, was manipulating. 

I was lucky to be able to go over the details with Don before I forgot the whole thing. Crazy stuff! Now I see why some people might think this kind of experience is an alien abduction or demons inhabiting the body (ala "The Exorcist!") However freaky it is, I have had these experiences a few times before. I don't have any mad desire to learn how to make it happen more frequently, though I bet I could if I worked harder at it. I'm just too lazy to do that, though. :)


No comments:

August 2026

 This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...