Friday, November 20, 2009

Little Store, Big Store

I stopped working at the local market a few months ago.  I worked there for a little over four years, and because I live in a smallish community, my face is recognizable everywhere I go around here.  Two years into my job at the market, a bigger, sexier chain of grocery store opened up just down the street.  From that moment on (and the months leading up to it's opening), all anyone could talk about was how the little store would manage to remain open.  We were never that worried, but the debate continues to this day.

It's been several years now, and both stores are still open.  I shop at both, because the big store offers variety and prepared foods I can't get at the little store.  But the reality is, whenever I shop at the little store, my bill is always less.  Naturally, whenever I shop at the big store, and I run into one of my old customers from the little store, I always get asked, "aren't you at the wrong place?"

At first this annoyed me.  Geez people, can't a girl shop wherever she wants?  What's it to you?  I've got no special connection to the little store.  Hell, I spent shit loads of money there, most of my pathetic little pay check every week, as a matter of fact.  I can get a delicious pre-made quiche at the big store.  And they've got an olive bar.  And a seafood department.  And I can rent videos there, if I want, and recycle my bottles.  They don't take returnables at the little store.  And though I know and love everyone that works at the little store, somedays I just don't have the time or energy to stand and chat with every single person I see.  At the big store, I can zip in and out quicker, as I don't know every single person who works there.

Still, I run into familiar faces every time I go down town.  I had a lot of good conversations with my old customers at the little store, and so when I see them, a smile, a hello, a how-are-you still comes natural to me.  I can't help it, being friendly comes natural to me.

The other day I was thinking about my response to the most common question I get asked since I stopped working at the little store.  "where are you working now?"  Up until recently, I just said, "well, I 'm not really working anywhere right now, just playing music...  Ha hah, so yes, I'm kind of poor.  Ha ha," then I try and change the subject.  So, my new plan is to simply answer, "I'm self-employed."  That ought to do it, I thought to myself.  Sounds like I have a plan.  Like I've got my shit together.

So sure enough, I run into a real nice old customer of mine, and he kindly asks, "so where you working now anyway?"  My response?

"I'm just self-unemployed right now."

Ha.  Oops.

4 comments:

Dragonstar said...

Kate, that's just the sort of response I'd make! I always say just that little bit too much!

Barbara said...

Hi Kate,

It's nice to catch up to you :)
Hey, you can say just about anything you feel like saying !
I do remember when you quit your job at the small store, and how you wanted some fresh air.

So breathe, Miss, and enjoy the gigs !

seev said...

Hey, maybe there should be self-unemployment benefits?

Kate said...

Seev- the only self-unemployed benefits I'm seeing is a really really clean house and lot's and lot's of quality time with my parents and my cats!

August 2026

 This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...