Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Spring Ritual In The Basement

My weekend was, quite literally, jam packed. Rehearsal on Friday night, recording session on Saturday, rehearsal on Saturday night. It was exhausting in that good kind of way. We've been getting the band ready for a short set back in my old stomping grounds next week. I am really looking forward to going back to where it all began for me, musically.

MEANWHILE, the annual spring "flood" in our basement has come. Last year, due to so much snow, it started in early May. The year before, it never happened. The year before that, it started in the middle of March. We lucked out in that Don noticed the first leaking around the edge just after he had squared away the fire in the woodstove and I had just had a few minutes to unwind after work and sip on a little wine.

"The water is here!" Don announced just as I was finishing up an email.

We snapped into action. Carrying the bass cabs and amps upstairs, the guitars, the keyboards. Rolling up the rugs, wrapping up the old futon couch, carrying them into the barn. Wrapping up the cords and cords and cords.. Lifting, pushing, shifting the gear. All the rugs went up, the drums got tucked into the far corner that never seems to get wet, the old dehumidifier got plugged in, and now we wait.

At least we managed to get two good rehearsal sessions in just before we had to tear it all down. It usually takes about a one month to dry it all up again.

And by then, the rest of this snow should be all gone! YES!

6 comments:

Debbie said...

Kate doesn't it drive you mad having all that water leak in. I wouldn't be a Happy Bunny. Hope it goes very quickly.

GeologyJoe said...

yep. i can relate. happens at my house too.
I got a '73 fender bassman tube amp that i would just die if it ever got wet.

debi_in_Hawaii said...

Holy sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!! :O

Barbara said...

Hi Kate,
Nice to be here !
Yiiiikes !! You guys have to go through this every Spring ? That's a lot of work.
I hope that things will be back to normal soon.

Slyde said...

ouch! sorry about the water in the basement :(

Dragonstar said...

I suppose you look on the bright side and concentrate on the fact that the flood means springs nearly arrived! It would drive me mad!!!

By the way, it's me here at last. Been a rotten visitor for some time, I'm afraid.

August 2026

 This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...