This is what I get at the end of nearly every gig I play. There I am, packing up the bass, high-fiving the rest of the people in the band, when a beautiful drunk girl approaches the band. Usually, I'm playing with guys, so naturally, they all perk up, puff up their chests and expect some well-deserved rock star treatment. But no. Who does beautiful drunk girl approach?
Me. That's right.
I get the high five. I get the starry-eyed, rosy cheek ogle. Beautiful drunk girl must come to me, must always shower her love. She can't help it. She wants, just for that moment, to know me, maybe even be me. I hear snippets of praise between the venue's house music and my band mates loud rowdy banter..
"You are so awesome!"
"It's so cool to see a girl up there, holding her own."
"You just rocked."
"I love that you're up there, playing with these guys."
Etc. It's darn cute.
The first few times it happened, years ago, I was a bit taken aback. Honestly, when I am up there playing, my mind is processing the job. Some of my thoughts: Am I locking in with the drummer? How's my volume? Is the guitar player in tune? Oops, I stepped on my instrument cable! Oops, close call on that bridge there! Okay, I guess the guitar player is taking another solo. Shoot, I hit a D note when it should have been an E note...
Stuff like that. I'm really not thinking: Wow, I am so lucky to be up here, being a mere girl and all, allowed to play with these great guys in a *gulp* band! Hope my hair looks okay. Maybe I should have worn a sparkly shirt..
I certainly don't expect to be worshipped by an audience (but I do expect some worship from my band members. ha ha!), but after all this time, I still find it funny when the beautiful drunk girls approach me. Here I am, maybe catching a quick sight of her as I am playing, and I think, wow, look at her, all smoking hot and getting drunk, hot dudes flocking all around her. What a lucky girl. (Hope she gets home okay..)
Then, at the end of the night, she comes up to me! It's cute. Friday night's B.D.G. even made sure to let me know that "I hope you don't think I'm a lesbian or anything!" I never get a chance to tell them that, no, don't worry, lesbians never hit on me anyway. I give her quick hug and tell her, "of course not, and thank you so very much" (beautiful drunk girl).
Wink wink.
8 comments:
I've always loved that picture.
Hi Kate!
What a cute post!
I've always thought it was wonderful how females are much more verbally open with one another about complimenting and admiring one another.
Guys do it too, I guess. But it's more of a non-verbal thing like...PUNCHING each other on back or SLAPPING each other across the face.
Kinda like an APE!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!
Anyway...you GO girl!!
ROCK ON!
Nothing wrong with a little hero worship. For both parties. )
Hi Dr. Zibbs - The photo was new to me, but then I'm so not as hip and cool as you. Slowly, ever so slowly, I am catching up. Thanks for stopping by!
Ron! You said it, not me! Cough cough.. Men / Apes. I never made that connection before. Wink wink.
B.E. That's right! In fact, one of my new heros to worship is That Verdant Dude. Yep.
"mere girl"? whaaaaat.....?!
P.S.: don't feel too bad...lesbians don't hit on me either ROTFLMFAO
Hi Kate,
Wooo; you have a groupie !!
How does it feel to have someone worship you ?
But, you were mighty sweet to your groupie :)
Keep on rockin', sister ;)
Morning Debi! That's funny ..
Sister Barbara! Right! I mean, it's a different groupie at each gig, but hey, better than nothing, right? :)
Thanks for visiting from the each side of the world ladies!
Good one, Kate.
--zDa
Post a Comment