Sunday, December 07, 2008

A Walk In The Woods

We went for a walk in the woods. It turned out to be a long walk. We went looking for a tree, for Christmas.... It's a lot harder than it sounds. The trees that grow in the wilds grow tall and long, and because they never get pruned, thin. We kept going, stopping now and then to ponder, and then laugh. Perhaps up along the ridge?

All the way to the top of the hill, where it's grassy and protruding with big boulders. The few we thought would look nice were too obvious to cut down, plus, the more we walked, the more we felt bad that we were no longer on our property.

The two or three inches of snow is a thick, slippery ice, and it was slow going. We had to crunch the heels of our boots into the snow just to get a good enough grip to walk on.

Finally, Don eked out, "This feels futile." He swung his hand saw in the air.

It does. But I haven't given up hope yet. If I could cut one of my own trees down, and compromise on "perfection," I would feel like I'd be bucking the Christmas insanity again.

It's never easy cutting down a tree to begin with, but the thought of cutting one down and then being dissatisfied with it, well, that's no good either. Is it worth saving ourselves $25, $30, $40?

I don't know yet. I'm just having a hard time getting in the Christmas mood, and I know if I had a Christmas tree to decorate, it would give me a kick in the arse.

We came back empty-handed. But we did see lot's of moose tracks in the snow, and the sky and view from the top of the hill was priceless. I neglected to bring my camera.

3 comments:

debi_in_Hawaii said...

That sounds nice...except for the throwing of the hand saw in the air LOL.
You're lucky that you can get them for FREE!
What you saw were probably REFUGEE MOOSE from Alaska...since Caribou Barbie returned, they all had to run for their lives. There will be other liberated moose-sightings and tree opportunities, I'm sure of it! :)

Kate said...

Ah ha ha! Caribou Barbie!
:D

seev said...

That Caribou Barbie doll finds it easier now to do turkeys, don't you think? Of course, a lot of her supporters are turkeys, so she'll be cutting off her neck to spite her face if she continues on the turkeys!! HA HA!

Kate, why be so fussy about a mere tree? Just take any old thing. It really doesn't matter matter matter matter; it really doesn't matter! LOL

August 2026

 This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...