Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas Panic

Okay, it's official. I have begun to feel the familiar symptoms of Christmas Panic. It happens every year about this time. It's a "deer in the headlights" reaction to unfinished Christmas preparations. I get to a certain point a few weeks into December every year, and then, bang, I stop.

My mind is saying, "You'll make some cookies, and send out some holiday cards to a growing list of wonderful people in your life, and put together FABULOUS Christmas packages for the near and dear and not-so near and dear. You'll pull together an amazing outfit for Christmas day, and even get the cats some new catnip mouses, and don't forget your lovely co-workers! Go on Girl, you can do it."

A block of time becomes available to me to tackle these ambitions, and yet somehow, the drive gets sucked away by things like sleep, or jangling on my guitar, or perhaps a game of online backgammon or four, or maybe a television program, or a 40 minute phone call with a good friend, or whoops, the dishes. ANYTHING but digging out the wrapping paper, rooting around for tape and ribbon, putting together said FABULOUS Christmas packages. HELP! I USED TO BE SO MUCH BETTER AT THIS! It's good thing I don't have kids, I'd surely be a bummer Mum.

So, today is the day. Dear Don stills has to go out and shop, and we had 4 to 6 inches of snow last night, we have shoveling to do right now (ha, and here I am a blogging), and another FOOT of snow is in the forecast for Sunday into Monday. OH JOY!

Wishing YOU all a Merry Christmas and a peaceful, stress-free New Year!

9 comments:

Debbie said...

Kate,
Don't Stress.. Its only a two day holiday.. Just enjoy anfd have a wonderful Christmas.. x

Kate said...

Thanks Debbie, and you are right.
I wish you and your family and all of your little ponies a happy Christmas, too!

debi_in_Hawaii said...

Don't worry...the malls are open later just before Xmas. Ours are open 'til 11pm or so. So that's what I'm going to do LOL.
Plus you might find that the wrapping, etc. MIGHT be on sale a bit because they have just a few more days to get rid of all that stuff at a larger profit before they have to mark it down to 50%, 75% after Dec. 25. WHEEEEEEEEEEE!! That's what I'm waiting for!
If you still don't know what to get: gift cards. Safeway has TONS of them for all kinds of stores...I even saw eBay cards! :O

seev said...

Yup, I know what ya mean, Kate. Except in my case I feel guilty because I let the Mom do more worrying about Xmas. But I did bring the tree in for her today and helped her set it up, plus I brought in a bunch of wood to get ready for the next storm. Is this gonna be a repeat of last year? LOL?

debi_in_Hawaii said...

I gave my little tree a haircut today. I noticed that there were a lot of needles on the floor, probably from my brushing against them to open the windows. Ahhhh...
renewed tree smell...

Barbara said...

Hi Kate,
You will make it.Like my sis said up there, take advantage of the later store closings.
And just relax.

Have a great holiday with your family.
Hugs to you XX

Anonymous said...

Which is why I call it the Festering
Season and ignore it as much as possible. Not easy. However, have as Warm and Happy Yule as possible.

seev said...

Hey, I'm with you, Aileni! Festering Season is right!
Bah Humbug!

Kate said...

Bah ha ha!

I have the bestest blogger buddies in the world!
xoxo

August 2026

 This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...