Thursday, March 07, 2019

Krazy Daze Of Kate

Happy Birthday to me.

Just a quick update on the latest in the Krazy Daze of Kate.

I received a text early this morning from Dad! He wished me a Happy Birthday. Yesterday, he was released from Mid Coast Hospital in the late afternoon, and Phyllis drove him over to the Bodwell Rehabilitation in Brunswick. It is located within walking distance to his apartment, so this location is comforting to him.

Phyllis sent us a detailed email last night about the long wait for the insurance approvals to go through. Once that finally happened, a specialist came by to take the pic line out, and after that procedure was finished, Dad was instructed to lie down for half an hour. I was confused about how Dad would be transported from the hospital to the rehab, and it turns out, it would have cost Dad $100 to have the Bodwell wheelchair van come and pick him up. Instead, it was approved by the discharge person for Phyllis to drive him there in her car. Score one for Dad's bank account!

He had been on a heart monitor for the last day or so at the hospital, but that was removed before he left. He's tube free as of now, but still taking antibiotics in pill form for his infections. He is also taking diuretics in pill form, and he is back on his blood thinner pills, too.

Phyllis described the room that he's staying in as a bit cramped and dark, and he's sharing it with another man healing up from a hip replacement, who they both agreed seemed nice. Once Dad settled into his room, Phyllis walked over to his apartment and picked up his mail and went up to his apartment to retrieve his beloved and expensive pillow, and a few other things. Nat, Clarissa and I are overwhelmed with gratitude for her compassionate and calm assistance during this whole crisis. She really is family.

My Jeep is back from the mechanic as of noon today, all shored up with new brakes and even a new set of windshield wipers. My mechanic is the best. Don and I were relieved that the old Ford truck was able to get out of our snowy driveway, and get us over and back to the garage yesterday afternoon and today.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Dad suffers no more major setbacks with his health. After the weekend, I will be able to go back up there to visit and find out if there is anything else I can do. He does have an appointment with his primary care doctor next Tuesday, March 12, and we are hoping he will be able to go. If he keeps going the way he is, we should be able to make it. It is important that we go in order to find out more about the future for his heart and lungs.

One day at a time.

I am so grateful for my little family - Nat, Clarissa, Phyllis & Don, my band mates and my amazing local friends. The outpouring of love and well wishes has been truly humbling and comforting.

I think Don and I are going to go out to dinner somewhere local tonight. I learned yesterday early in the evening that our good friend Wally was out of his long surgery. He's got a long recovery ahead of him, but he's down in Boston in the hands of some of the best people in the world.

I'm still trying to gather up the strength to write a sympathy/gratitude letter to our dear friend Pepper's wife, Barbara. It won't be easy, but I've got plenty of time to do it. I want to get it right, as he was an important person in my life journey.

*******************************************************************************

Fifty four years ago, on this day, "600 marchers assembled in Selma... and, led by John Lewis and other ... activists, crossed the Edmund Pettus Bridge over the Alabama River en route to Montgomery. Just short of the bridge, they found their way blocked by Alabama State troopers and local police who ordered them to turn around. When the protesters refused, the officers shot teargas and waded into the crowd, beating the nonviolent protesters with billy clubs and ultimately hospitalizing over 50 people."  (Quote from BlackPast.org)

Later that night, around 9 p.m., my mother gave birth to me. I recently realized that I was born on Bloody Sunday, and it makes me sad that racism is still boiling in this country. Fifty four years, and it's still here. How long will it take? Will it ever go away?

No comments:

August 2026

 This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...