Dad's doing much better, and the party to celebrate his 90th birthday went off without a hitch. Nat and Eryn came up the night before and were able to get a little skiing in up at Sunday River. Clarissa was up in Maine by 3, and brought an amazing chocolate birthday cake from Concord Tea Cakes. Even Nick made it up, by 5, after his shift working at the Verizon store in Malden! Phyllis prepared a delicious pork roast with veggies, and between the rest of us there was salad and crusty bread, applesauce and appetizers. We ate, and Dad shared some of his birthday greetings. He opened gifts, I led the song "Hallelujah" on guitar, and Clarissa presented a nice speech about Cuba. Joy, Phyllis's adorable puppy, entertained us all with her cuteness and joy. Dad was happy.
A big storm was on the horizon, and my band members and I were ruminating over the week on whether or not we should cancel or gig scheduled for Saturday night. At last, we decided we would be able to make it. Don and I left a little before 5, and got to the venue a little before 6. We were able to start at 6:30, and nice batch of our friends came out to support us. The snow started coming down around 7, I think. The patrons were very supportive of our music, and the woman who booked us was very pleased. We finished up at 10:30, and packed our gear back into our cars as the snow was falling. Everybody got home safely. A big relief.
Don and I were so happy to that we all chose to not cancel the gig. The snow was falling hard by the time we had unloaded our gear back home, and as we had nothing to do but wait it out, we stayed up a little later then usual. I was down in the basement by the wood stove, listening to music. At one point, for some reason I do not remember, I went to walk over to the wood stove, and did so by stepping over the old monitor.
I tripped up on it, and I landed on my head on the bricks in front of the wood stove. Shocked, I quickly felt my face. No broken teeth, that's good. No broken nose, that's a relief. But, I felt a tingle and when I pulled my hand from my face, I saw blood. Slowly, I rose, and walked up the stairs to the bathroom mirror. My face was coated in blood. Eek!
"I fell." I told Don. He rose from the couch quickly and looked at my face. He got a damp towel and helped me wipe off the blood to see where it was coming from. There was an abrasion above my right eye that was the culprit. We cleaned it off, and except for a little redness on my nose and a small cut underneath my nose, it didn't seem too bad. We cleaned up the cut and bandaged it. I was shook up but certain that I did not have a concussion. It just stung.
In the morning, I had a bump (and I still do today.) The cut is healing. Instead of a Harry Potter lightening bolt, it's shaped like horseshoe. I took it easy all day and thanked my lucky stars that I didn't bang my head on the hot wood stove. Or break my nose. Or broke any teeth. Or had to go to the ER in the middle of snow storm at 2:30 in the morning. My right wrist is a bit sprained, as I must have tried to brace myself from the fall, and my right fingertip is a little bruised, and I feel a little sore from the fall, too. But, I'm going to be okay. The cut may scar, but that's okay.
It was traumatic, for sure. And I feel so stupid for tripping over that old monitor. But, I'm okay.
Now - how to convince everyone that it wasn't Don who beat me up and pushed me down the stairs! Ha ha ha.
(He didn't.
Snort).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
August 2026
This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...
-
Here I am again. May 2, 2024. It was 13 years ago this morning that Dad called me in a tizzy, stressed to the max, because Mom had kept hi...
-
Hey, look - I'm back again. One more post before the end of 2023 - what do ya say, eh? Well, Verdant Dude still hasn't followed me ...
No comments:
Post a Comment