In the big box of photos, etc, from my father's collection, I found a small envelope with a series of letters written by my grandfather addressed to his sister and brother in law, Marjorie and Johnny, as well as his brother Gordon. I have tried my best to transcribe his handwriting. The letters were written in pencil. When there was a word I just could not make out, I added a question mark.
*EDIT - these letters where written in Cuba, when my grandfather was working there for The United Fruit Company..
Biran - Nov. 17 (1924?)
Dear Gordon,
During all this rainy period have been taking it pretty easy, not having to go to any office regularly like you do. I go out for awhile for exercise to visit the "poco gente" that may be working chopping cartroads, or to measure a ditch.
I am sending letters and clippings from father which I received in a lump today with your note unt? Marjorie's letter and Wardman clipping.
I have the letter you sent amongst the papers. We were much interested in reading the results of the election. I am glad you are sending the "Cartiles(?)." The ? and his wife get the papers and magazines after us.
Love, Marden
Biran - Nov. 23 (1924?)
Dear Gordon,
Two bundles of papers came yesterday containing one Caruler?, Poste, Cuban papers, picture section, and letter of father's inside. We enjoy reading them very much. I am enclosing Marjorie's letter, E.J. Whitney's, and a list of wedding presents received by Marjorie. It will take you some time to go through the list. I also return clipping of wedding. I have received notice from the N.E. Life that my bonus application has been received and forwarded to Washington.
The last four or five days the weather has been fine, but today it is cloudy and misty. I hope we don't get any more rain as this mud is very hard on the horses. The cartroads are now being chopped all over this farm except those that can be moved by machine. It makes the farm look much better and is certainly easier traveling.
Thurs. I expect to have Thanksgiving dinner in Guaro. I shall then, if possible, send you a money order for what I owe you, and send another to father and Marjorie.
I am glad you are going to Santiago. It will be an interesting trip. A good place to put up is the Hotel Imperial. The Venus ? is where I stopped, but ? other is better for prices, etc.
Love, Marden
(The Imperial is 5 mins. from the Venus?) (over)
P.S. Each week now Hodgkins & I get a Crisco Land can packed full of beautiful whilte honey for 20 cents weighing I should say 4 lbs. Pretty good living, I call it. Last quincera ? cut? us but 54 cents per day. Davison has given me a big horse to ride and he is a dandy, goes like the wind and very powerful. Emilio ? is now mayoral in Sojo 3 and Tamergo the former whose place he took us back to guard. So H and I are the only two ?
M
Biran - Nov. 27, 1924
Dear Marjorie & Johnny,
We are having the best of weather down here now, something like Indian summer days excepting that everything is green and fresh. While have been having a dry period at home according to all reports, here we've had nothing but rain up until last week. The next few months they say one will forget that it ever has rained.
Everybody went into Guaro today for a Thanksgiving dinner which proved to be a good one although the day didn't seem at all like Thanksgiving Day. I had plenty of pie and cake, of course, something that we don't get at the house here. Our cook made a "pie" once but I told her she didn't have to bother to make anymore, and also I have prevented by shutting off the supply of flour. Our wants are few anyway, in fact they have to be. There is nothing like the simple life!
On Saturday evening of this week we are going to Preston to a dance. There will be a number of senoritas to dance with, but you ? I would never be able to dance as I ? I am out of luck. Our overseer's wife, who is a Cuban, said she would teach me, however, and I might yet fortify myself for the ordeal by taking a glass or two of rum Bacardi.
I haven't been off the farm for some time, and this week will make it two times. Of evenings, though, I do not like to wander from the security of the home for fear of the man-stalking jaguars that come to drink at the limpid pool nearby.
I should think you would have got writer's cramp almost making out that list of wedding presents, but I am enclosing another, a small one, which you may add to it.
Affectionately, Marden.
Biran - Nov. 27, 1924
Dear Gordon,
Went into Guaro today and had a swell Thanksgiving feed consisting of plenty of turkey, salad, and pies, but it is hard to imagine it is Thanksgiving Day down in this neck of the woods. Sat. night we expect to go to Preston to a dance there. I'd like to know how to dance so as to have some of those Cubanas for partners, but Marjorie says I'd never make a good dancer. Davison and his Cuban wife, H. & I all rode down to the almarsen (?) in the express wagon, but half way there a whiffle-tree broke and we had to hoof it to pull through there when slushy. In Guaro I obtained two bundles of papers you sent and in one found the letter of Capt. Fletcher. I have received notice from Washington that my bonus application has been received and have been given a number.
The weather is elegant now and pretty good for riding over the country, especially as I have another horse assigned me, a big, fast one full of ginger.
Enclosed are a money order, father's letter, and W?man clipping.
Yours Marden
Biran - Thurs. eve, Jan. 1 (1925?)
Dear Marjorie & Johnny,
I took things pretty easy today as I didn't get back from the dance a Mr. Schuyler's until 6 this a.m., and we left at 5 the evening before. Had a nice time at the dance, there was a big crowd there, had a reception at his home, drank a few highballs, and had the dance outside a cement floor with Japanese lanterns lighting up the surrounding palm trees casting their shadows over the lawns and the temperature just right, everybody in summer clothes and dancing until 3 in the morning. Some climate! The manager has a swell home situated right on the beach, all the furniture mahgahony, modern kitchen arrangements, bathroom in every bedroom, poolroom, and everything equipped in every particular. A Jamaican negro orchestra furnished the music, noise? in general. Coffee and sandwiches were served later, and I'm enjoying a cigar band off one of Mr. Schuyler's cigars that I smoked and my dance program. We travelled in a coach from Preston to Guaro but at the latter place had to wait for our little truck car with it's Ford engine to take us to Bueno Ventura almacin. Time began to drag then and it was quite chilly as I only wore my white meal bag suit. The morning after the night before is kind of tough anyhow. Glad to get your letter & M. of M.
Love, Marden
No comments:
Post a Comment