Thursday, January 26, 2017

Old Journal Entry

When I was in my twenties, I spent a few years working at Bread & Circus, a natural foods market (later bought out by Whole Foods Market.) I had been promoted to "Supplement Buyer" (or something like that.) Basically, I was in charge of managing and ordering the vitamin supplements, as well as the medicinal herbs. I was pretty good at it - and it was a fairly satisfying job.

During that time I was a bit frustrated with my life, though. I'd go to work, then come home and free write in my word processor. Here's a journal entry from one of those nights after work. I thought it was kind of funny.

September 15, 1994

Got into work at 2:59, started Country Life, then got stuck with a phone customer for ten minutes, then another ten calling around other stores, looking for what she wanted, but no one had it so I had to special order it over the phone, and then call her back to tell her that. Then, our new regional sales rep from Rainbow Light and her boss, Stuart Baker, the National Sales Rep came by and we spent an hour schmoozing with them, but they were all right. Our regular customer, Larry Rosenberg, came by, and I got to keep working while the reps talked with Larry, eventually selling him a Deep Defense. I worked on Country Life some more, and then I took a lunch break in the empty break room (what a treat!) Chicken, ziti and grilled peppers and eggplant from the deli.

After lunch, I got down to business and finished off the Country Life, and finally got started on Solgar, which I knew was really too late to get started on, but I couldn't bear it if someone else did the order and fucked it up... If Kimberly doesn't write down the wrong number on the order sheet, then Bill is pricing it wrong or putting the special order up on the shelf or spacing out on boxes and writing up claims that get called in on small amounts of product that only get found later on anyway, creating more of a hassle for everyone involved...his mistakes are endless, there's always someone that just can't get it.

Bill is playing tonight at Club III and it really would have been interesting to go down and watch him, but I've got a zit and I'm awfully spent from last night's drink after work with Terry. Solgar wasn't finished until closing, and I hadn't done any fronting at all, so I stayed until quarter to ten, dusting and fronting and wishing desperately that I had started earlier, or that I had more energy, or something. But, I was so anxious to get out of there that I started to burn with aggravation in my heart, just dying to get out of there and get back to some rest and partying. Getting home, however, was as anti-climatic as ever, and now I must make due with this (almost gone) Carlsberg here and my tv with only one station and my radio in my new big room, and this word processor and my new zit.

No comments:

August 2026

 This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...