Wednesday, May 18, 2016

My Routine

Well, I am in between things at the moment, and I've had other thoughts I want to post. So here is another post.

This will probably not be of too much interest to anyone - but I wanted to write this down so I can look back on it. Perhaps I could just start another blog - but that's too much bother at the moment.

Anyway - this is just a record for myself of my latest semi-obsession. My little work-out routine.

I started a yoga routine three years ago. That was because I had suffered from a sciatic nerve thing for about 10 months... and because I was hoping to get back into riding and caring for a horse of my own. Of course, that led to two ten-month seasons with Possum, the awesome pinto horse.

The first time I did the routine - following the soothing, encouraging voice of Sarah from the "Yoga For Dummies" video I discovered on You Tube - it was hard. Well, some poses were not too tough, but some were really a challenge. However, when I finished the whole routine (which took about 50 minutes,) I felt great. Stretched, relaxed and very proud of myself.

So, I kept going - I managed to do it every other day. It wasn't long before I had memorized the routine, with a couple of embellishments, and had it down to half an hour. I began to feel stronger in my core, and if I did have neck/shoulder/back or any other pain, I noticed that it went away faster. I did the routine as many times a week as I could, all through the months I had Possum, and all through the summer without him.

It has a made a huge difference in my strength, flexibility and posture. And it's kind of fun, too.

However, a few months ago, I started feeling kind of flabby in my stomach area. That one belt I wear for gigs, that before I had been able to lock onto the 2nd hole, now I had to contend with the 1st hole. I realized that without the extra work and activity of caring for a horse - riding, shoveling, mucking, hauling, lifting and a whole lot of walking - my calorie intake (I guess) was settling down comfortably in my 50 year old stomach area.

This was bumming me out. Meanwhile - on Facebook, You Tube, Instagram and blogs - I would stop and look at people who posted about their exercise routines. Oh, if only, I mused, I lived closer to a gym or something! But, once again - I became inspired by a simple video shared on Facebook. Some lady demonstrating about 5 simple exercises that target the abs.

By this time, I had already added planking to my yoga routine. I started with 1/2 a minute, slowly built up to 1, then 1 and a half, then 2.. on my birthday this year, I even managed to hold a plank for 3 minutes!

Anyway - after a rocky start, I finally developed my own little ab workout routine, and have been faithfully doing it daily for almost 6 weeks now, I think. (I've skipped a few days here and there.)  I wanted to write down my routine so I have it to look back on. This is of today, and I have worked up to these numbers. Some days, I do a little less, other days I do a little more. Oh - and I really don't know the proper names of all these exercises - I've kind of made up names for some of them. Anyway, here it is:

1. 1 1/2 - 2 minute plank
(round 1)
2. 20 scissors
3. 40 bicycle crunches
4. 20 leg lifts
5. 15 leg side to sides
6. 20 pelvic lifts
7. 15 leg crossovers (both sides)
8. 20 sit ups
9. 40 hand clap thingies
10. 20 plank lifts
(round 2)
11. 40 scissors
12. 40 bicycle crunches
13. 20 leg lifts
14. 15 side to sides
15. 20 pelvic lifts
16. 15 leg crossovers (both sides)
17. 20 sit ups
18. 40 hand claps
19. 20 plank lifts
(round 3)
20. 40 scissors
21. 60 bicycle crunches
22. 20 leg lifts
23. 15 side to sides
24. 25 pelvic lifts
25. 15 leg crossovers (both sides)
26. 25 sit ups
27. 40 hand claps
28. 20 plank lifts
(round 4)
29. 40 scissors
30. 80 bicycle crunches

Then, I do my yoga routine.
1. sit and breath - 6-10 breaths
2. cat pose - 6 breaths
3. mountain pose - 6 breaths with arm lifts, 2 breaths with side to side arm stretches
4. forward bend - 6 breaths
5. lunge - 6 breaths on each side
6. tree pose - 6 breaths on each side
7. warrior 2 pose for 4 breaths into side stretch for 6 breaths - each side
8. swan dive, plank, downward dog - 6 breaths
9. cobra pose - 6 warm up, then 6 breaths
10. child's pose - 6 to 10 breaths
11. seated twist - 6 breaths on each side
12. seated forward stretch - 6 breaths on each side
13. relaxation pose - 12-24 breaths

It's been taking about 45 minutes to do the ab workout, and then the 1/2 hour to do the yoga routine. And though I haven't noticed too much better definition in that giant stomach muscle area, I did notice that the last time I wore my belt, it easily notched back into the number 2 hole. Yea for me.

No comments:

August 2026

 This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...