Thursday, May 01, 2014

Dream Visitors

It's funny, sometimes, the dreams you remember when you wake up. There I was, dashing around my old house in Carlisle, my friend Lynn (who I've only known since I've moved to Maine eleven years ago) and some young girl I don't know, waiting in the driveway with a car. My mother and father were there - mother asking me if I needed this or that, as she was known to do, and my father getting in the way a little. And for some reason, my late Uncle Bob was there, too; he slipped me a fifty dollar bill and I gave him a big hug. (Two things that never really happened when he was alive.) I thought I had everything together, ran out to the waiting car in the driveway, and then looked down at my feet and realized I had my old ratty sneakers on.. and I was going to New York City in that footwear? Back into the house I went, grabbing another pair of shoes... and looking in the mirror and realizing I had hairs the length of my arms growing out of my chin.. I grabbed my tweezers and started plucking, and my dad was like, what are you doing? And I had no time to explain, so I did what I could and decided I could finish plucking in the back seat of the car on the ride to New York City with my friend Lynn.

(The house that Mom built, in Carlisle. Though, this image depicts the house renovated after Mom and Dad sold it in 1999.)

No comments:

August 2026

 This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...