Friday, October 26, 2012

Nicky

Yesterday morning Nicky died. He was diagnosed with Leukemia shortly after he moved to New York City in 2002. He was a drummer in two bands that I worked in when we lived in Boston. He was also an apartment mate for a while, a rehearsal space mate, and one of the sweetest, kindest and funniest people I've had the pleasure to know. The last time I saw him was at a gig in Boston in 2004, but we kept in touch through email and few phone calls in the last 8 years. His career as a drummer was fantastic in NYC, working with his brother Dave in the bands The Soft Explosions and The Moon Brothers, and with PT Walkley in his live bands PT Walkley and The Blue Jackets, as well as a kid's music band called The Dream Jam Band. Nicky also loved to act. Here's something I never saw before until today:



And this, which he wrote, filmed and edited!
Mickey Rocks! from Nicky Kulund on Vimeo.

Here's a link to a short piece about him in DRUM! Magazine.

Here's a link to mp3's of the band I played in with him in Boston. (I'm the bass player on the first ten tracks.) We had a lot of fun in the band.

R.I.P. Nicky. You will be missed by so many.

No comments:

August 2026

 This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...