Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Summer Of George

You've probably seen this, but just in case you haven't... The actor Jason Alexander wrote a very sensible essay on gun control laws and posted it on his Twitter. At least, it is sensible and fair to me. Before I moved to Maine and met so many people who own and use guns for hunting (why they think that is fun, I'll never understand), I was always of the opinion that all guns should be disposed of (somehow... ), period. That men and killing and war and all that crap is bullshit, needless, and stupid.

As I've aged, my idealism has shifted to an uneasy compromise. Okay then, let the people own a handgun for protection, if they feel so afraid, or a rifle for hunting, if they really get that much joy out of killing innocent animals (or the ranchers and farmers for protecting themselves from lions and tigers and bears...) But the semi-automatic killing machines? Really? All those machines are for is mass killing, period. And unless you are in the military, you shouldn't have one, because obviously you have a very sick plan in mind, or you are totally paranoid.

Thank you Mr. Alexander. Not that he'll change the "minds" of the NRA.

No comments:

August 2026

 This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...