Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Clean Chimney, Wood, and a Warm House

Finally, today we are getting our chimney cleaned. It was a long road to today, it seems. I started calling my usual guys, "The Creosote Crushers," about 2 months ago. I'd call in the morning, I'd call at night, I'd call in the middle of the day.. no answer, no answering machine. Poopers. Are they too busy to take anymore work? Has one of them (and gosh, I hope not) collapsed from something? What to do, what to do?

Sadly, I had to call a new guy, "The Clean Sweep." He returned my call promptly the evening I left him a message, and we set up a day for the following week. He said he'd call the night before to confirm the appointment. When he called, I asked if he could still work in the rain.. He said he'd call in the morning if he thought the weather would be too messy.

Sure enough, the rain was driving and cold, and he called to reschedule. One week later, today, at last, we will get a clean sweep so we can get into our winter heating routine in earnest. I am expecting him any minute now. We've been having fires in the fireplace for the last month and a half, which does take the chill off at night, but doesn't really heat up the "core" of the house like the wood stove does in the basement. Once we knew for sure Mr. Sweep was coming this week, we did sneak in a couple burns in the wood stove, last night and Saturday night. It's been getting very frosty up here on the hill at night..

Yesterday the local firewood company dumped a giant load of two cords of split wood in front of the barn door.. Luckily, my older, very strong brother, who loves to stack wood, is arriving this afternoon, and I'm sure he'll be happy to have something to work at while he is here for a few days for Thanksgiving. And we sure could use the extra hands stacking all those logs.

Hope you all have a happy, warm and safe Thanksgiving holiday!

No comments:

August 2026

 This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...