The world lost another good soul this morning. I only met Petro a year and a half ago, through a group of fantastic folks up here in Maine that revolves around a bluegrass band called The Intergalactic Yurt Band. He is.. was.. (still hard to believe) one of those rare people you meet.. the kind that instantly you know he's one of a kind.. Special. Loved by many, and so much love to give. I didn't know a lot of details about his life, but the things I did learn showed me how much he had done and shared in his life time. Retired from years and years giving his all as a social worker for abused children. A father. Still best friends with his ex wife. A fantastic and eloquent writer. A gifted and passionate photographer. And mostly, a huge music lover. The Grateful Dead, the bluegrass bands, the blues. He had thousands of CD's, vinyl records and probably old cassette tapes. Just a few weeks ago, he sent many of his friends (myself and Don included, though, like I said, we'd only known him a short while) a hand picked "Winter Mix" CD, complete with artwork and a handcrafted holiday card. The writing inside the card was priceless. It said:
"It appears that we have landed on a planet where the indigenous tribes still practice war, where greed, pride, and lust for power still drive too many, and people are afraid to love.
Let us go among them at our best: In laughing peace, sharing what we have of joy and music, and loving them as we wish to be loved."
In this personal message to Don and me, he added:
"...may you gleefully experience all the joys life has to offer;
may you vigorously triumph over whatever challenges life throws your way;
and may love and kindness be the stars that guide your path. Love, Petro"
In the 5 or 6 times I had the opportunity to spend time with him over the last year and half, I could always count on him for a big bear hug, a hearty laugh, a joke or two, and support. I still remember when he told me that he thought my guitar playing was special, and that he just wanted me to believe it, too. I won't soon forget that.
Rest in peace good man. I won't forget you, and you are sorely missed already by your very large circle of family and friends. Peace.

A photo taken by his good friend Rob, with Petro's camera.
This one goes out to you buddy.

6 comments:
Sending you Hugs xxxx
Thanks Debbie.
im sorry to hear about your loss. he sounds like someone i would have liked to know.
Thanks Slyde. Early, unexpected deaths stink.
That's right, Kate. Early, unexpected deaths stink. The death of a child is worse of all. Very heartfelt and good write-up here, Kate. Also, the one you wrote about the funeral.
Thanks Seev.
Post a Comment