Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Soup Recipe

I haven't felt the need to post anything lately, so, here's a tasty soup recipe!

(I was speaking with my produce co-worker today about how we don't often use LEEKS, and I remembered this recipe that I used once. I just printed it out for her, and now, here for you. Enjoy!)

POTATO-LEEK CHOWDER
4 servings

A tasty and easy-to-prepare soup that could be a main dish for lunch. Preparation tip: If desired, the soup can be pureed in a blender before the milk is added.

2 large leeks (white parts only)
1 pound potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and diced
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2 cups chicken broth (homemade or canned)
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Salt, if desired (omit if using canned broth)
1 cup skim milk
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
1/2 cup grated Cheddar (2 ounces)

1. Separate and wash the leeks. Slice them into 1/2-inch pieces.
2. In a nonstick large saucepan, saute the potatoes and leeks in the butter or margarine for several minutes, stirring the vegetables to prevent browning.
3. Add the broth, pepper, and salt. Bring the chowder to a boil, reduce the heat, cover the pan, and simmer the chowder for 20 to 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
4. Add the milk gradually, and heat the chowder gently but do not boil.
5. Stir in the parsley. Serve the chowder with a generous sprinkle of grated cheese.

Recipe from Jane Brody's Good Food Book

1 comment:

debi_in_Hawaii said...

What are LEEKS? Look like green onion to me :D

August 2026

 This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...