Monday, June 01, 2009

Big City Market

Happy June First!

It's a sunny, bright blue sky day in Maine today. Fantastic.

Had such a blast going down to Whole Foods Market yesterday. It just moved in a couple of years ago, but it was my first visit. I worked for the company down in Cambridge for many years, and visiting the Portland store brought back a rush of memories. What a beautiful place! After four years of working at my little market up here in the boonies, WFM was sight for sore eyes. Everything was perfect. The displays, the merchandizing, the food (not a dented veggie or fruit anywhere!), the staff. Jeepers. They even had a killer jazz trio playing in the beautiful, high-ceilinged- with- tons- of- natural light eating area.

Gawd damn. And there it was, a Sunday afternoon, and it was mobbed! Every register line was flowing, staff bustling about (I counted five people stocking in the produce department alone!), every inch of space flowing beautifully into the next... sigh. Foodie heaven.

It takes a little over an hour to get there by car, so getting a job there again would be a little silly for me. Oh but the food.. we got some sushi for lunch, then browsed for a couple of hours. The wine department alone I could have spent hours in. I picked a delicious bottle of red wine from Chile, and some dinner and snacks. Sure, we spent a LOT more money than usual, but it was worth it.

A store that size would never fly in this neck of the woods, but I'll make the effort to go back there again sometime.

Now, I'm off to do some work. Thanks for stopping by and have a great week!

5 comments:

Verdant Earl said...

We have a few of them here in the LI/NYC area, but I haven't been to one yet. Gia loves them though.

GeologyJoe said...

yep. it sure is a nice store. I stop in every now and again on my way home from work.

Slyde said...

earl beat me to it.. we DO have a few of them round these parts..

Barbara said...

Hi Kate,
When D & I was in Philly, we stumbled on the WF store on South street.Holy Moses !! We could have spent hours there, so I understand ya !

Ron said...

Hi Kate!

OMG...I LOVE Whole Foods! It's addictive!

We have one here in Philly and I love the salad bar and soup!

It's also the place where I get some of my essential oils.

Love it!

August 2026

 This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...