Thursday, November 06, 2008

Camera Lusting


DSCF3785
Originally uploaded by SleepyLaKate

I've been lusting for a nice camera lately, naturally. And I feel kind of guilty doing so, as I really know nothing about photography. I've never taken a class, and I'm really quite a slacker when it comes to self-learning.

I discuss this with Don and he always says it's not the camera it's the photographer. Well, I'm sure he is right, but over there on flickr, you see so many great photos and I think, yes, I'm naive when it comes to photography, but come on! That photo was taken with a $1,700 camera, and the fancy lens and whatnot! Couldn't my photos be just a little bit cooler looking with a nicer camera?

I've taken a photo with my trusty Fuji FinePix A330, my very first digital camera I bought in 2005, of some older beasts I've had hanging around. To learn more about them, click on the photo to take you over to flickr and I've added notes and descriptions. I don't really miss those cameras (the fancy Nikon is Don's, I never really used it), because I have a short attention span and well, I love how quickly the digital format brings you the images.

So, I know some of you out there have a lot of knowledge on the subject and practice of photography and cameras. Anyone care to give me some words of wisdom on the subject?

In these days of pinching pennies, would it be foolish for a pocket photographer like me to buy, say, a Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12.2 MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens for $654?

Or should I just stick with my good ol' Fuji, that let's me drop it and scratch it up and keeps on working?


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep that disc camera safe, it is a museum piece. I wish we had kept ours but we got an exchange deal vis Kodak on a new 35mm because they wanted to recall the the discs.
I have a Sony CyberShot DSC H1 and Meri a DSC H50 - an update of mine. Believe me, a camera like this can do all you will need and more. No extra lenses etc to cart around.
You can see mine by going to Loose Ends and clicking on the 'cameras' label.

Dragonstar said...

My first digital was the FinePix A350. I couldn't get on with it, as I'd been using Stephen's FinePix S5000 which took a much better photo. I now have the Sony H50, as you'll have read, and I love it!
I couldn't go back to film - the instant results with digital really appeal to me, as well as the ability to switch rapidly between colour and B&W (like having two cameras!)
I think it depends a lot on just what you want to do. I like taking real closeups, so my camera must be capable of that. Also, I need a large screen (don't like the viewfinder option much, and I need clarity outdoors) Also, this lovely camera has enhanced stability, so I don't get much camera shake any more.
All things to consider.
Have fun!

GeologyJoe said...

I've had the Fuji.
however my samsung s860 does everything i need had adjustable F and shutter speed settings and is cheap.

thou, who cant resist a nice picture taker?

debi_in_Hawaii said...

I got one that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE.
(Dummy took the bulky, uglyass Kodak Easyshare) and I wanted a cute, little camera I could take ANYWHERE with me and not weigh me down because of my walks to/from the bus stop and carry a lot of stuff to work with me and the parking lot is far. I went to Best Buy, saw one on display, not bad price and said I'll take that one. But they had none in stock (what's up with THAT? If it's not in stock, don't put it on display. And no, they wouldn't sell me the demo.) so I went across the street to Circuit City, where they had the EXACT same camera, same model # in a **PACKAGE DEAL**!! The box was a little crushed but the guy said he'd give me $ off and opened it to show me it was OK-it was mostly styrofoam surrounding a tiny little cardboard inside, with T-shirt, tripod, case and strap. And the camera was a better color than the one at Best Buy (white?!) So I got a silver Casio Exilim EX-Z77. It came with a dead battery, but Casio took care of me and UPS'd me a new one (UPS left it outside my door-DOH!) but I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this thing. It fits in my pocket. I don't have a memory card for it yet-I can save 12 pics on it before I have to dump them on the laptop. But that's OK for now.
There's **A LOT** of Circuit City stores closing. Check this list:
http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/CC/456035429x0x245809/2BFAC9D9-6CEF-4027-9E51-1C635F42F7A7/110308%20Store%20Closing%20List.pdf

to find a store closing near you try to get something on *SALE!!!!*
(ours is not closing)
Have fun camera shopping and good luck getting an INSANE DEAL! :)

Kate said...

Oh wow, thanks for your comments everyone!

After I wrote this post, I went to work, and as I stood for a while doing the mundane task of cleaning and wrapping 2 cases of cabbage, I got thinking, who am I? I shouldn't be thinking about spending so recklessly on a fancy new camera. Everyone will tell me to save my money and stick with my lil' Fuji.

I was delighted to come back to see so many positive comments, and useful ones at that! Thank you so much all. I'll be doing more research and saving so I can get some better photos going some day!

Alieni, I found your Cameras link especially helpful. You have so many wonderful photos on your site, it's neat to read about the cameras.

Meri, I too, like the idea of a bigger viewfinder and enhanced stability. Your close up shots really come through.

Debi, your camera shopping description got me thinking outside of my "shopping box". I like your hot dog photos a lot.

Joe, it's true, a super nice camera is very appealing, even for an amateur like me.

Thank you thank you, good advise all!
I'll probably have to keep "lusting" for a while, but I'll be sure to post if a new camera comes my way.

Dragonstar said...

We'll all wait and see what you come up with ;)

debi_in_Hawaii said...

Yes, we need an update! Did you do any sale shopping this weekend? ;D
Or...do we have to wait and see what SANTA brings you? (wink!)

Kate said...

Ha ha debi!

I'm a slow shopper, especially when it comes to such a big purchase. It'll be a while... And I'm quite sure Santa is not hip to plunking down the big bucks this year.. See, Santa gave me a call a couple of weeks ago, and we agreed to tone it down with the gifts this year.. Ha ha!

:) Meanwhile, I'll keep pining and researching.

debi_in_Hawaii said...

Oh that's right...Santa has sleigh payments, and oooh, that reindeer chow! ;)

Kate said...

That's right Debi! And Santa buys the top of the line reindeer chow from the farm stores, not just the cheap stuff from the supermarket!

Don't forget, Santa ALSO bought two cellphones this year. Mrs. Claus, who does the finances, is often quite disturbed at the cellphone bill.

YOU know how it all is!!
:)

August 2026

 This month. August of 2026. This whole summer, actually. A lot of slipping though the fingers, this summer. Working hard. Work, gigs. Ann B...